Last update: Jan 27, 2020
An almond biscotti recipe to make your own Tuscan cantuccini at home.
In Tuscany you find the “Cantuccini e Vin Santo” in nearly every restaurant on the dessert menu. In Tuscany, these cookies are eaten after a meal soaked in a fortified wine called vin santo.
- 300g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 180g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs + 1 yolk
- 175g almonds, coarsely chopped
- Put the almonds on a cookie tray in a single layer and bake in the oven at 180ºC (350ºF) for 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool on the bench.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer (or whisk) until foamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in gently.
- Stir in the almonds by hand.
- Form the mixture into two long thin "loaves" no more than 6cm (2 1/2 inches) high and place them on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper.
- Brush with egg yolk.
- Bake at 200ºC (400ºF) for 20 minutes until golden-brown.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes until you can touch it.
- With a sharp serrated knife, cut slices approximately 1cm (1/2 inch) thick and lay them on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 200ºC (400ºF) for 7-10 minutes until slightly browned.
The cantuccini can be stored in an air-tight container for several weeks.